Welcome to the read along for JUST ONE YEAR, part of the Gayle Forman Read Along event!
Before we start the questions, I just want to give another HUGE thanks to all of my lovely co-hosts for this event: Judith @ Paper Riot, Candice @ The Grown-Up YA, Alexa @ Alexa Loves Books, and Jenna @ Jenna Does Books. This was a big event and I couldn’t have done with without their help!
I also want to give a huge ‘thank you’ to everyone who’s participated so far in the Gayle Forman read along and went through the highs and lows of Brit, Mia, Adam, and Allyson. Now we’re closing the read along with Willem’s story in JUST ONE YEAR and I’m so excited to get started!
With the exception of today, each WEDNESDAY, we will be posting the answers from the previous week and I’ll be giving you my answers as well as the questions for the next week’s batch of chapters! Here’s a look at our official schedule for the event:
October 18th: Questions week 1 (Ch 1-12) Now!
October 23rd: Answers week 1 (Ch 1 – 12), week 2 questions (Ch 13 – 21)
October 30th: Answers week 2 (Ch 13 – 21), week 3 questions (Ch 21 – 32)
November 6th: Answers week 3 (Ch 21 – 32), week 4 questions (Ch 33 – end)
November 13th: Answers week 4 (Ch 33 – end), wrap-up & giveaway winner announced!
As you may have noticed, there will be a little giveaway for one of the JUST ONE YEAR read along participants! I’ve detailed the guidelines for the giveaway allllll the way down at the bottom!
QUESTIONS: WEEK 1
- We know from JUST ONE DAY how Allyson and Willem initially got permanently separated, but in JUST ONE YEAR, we get to see Willem’s story of this situation. Did this change how you initially felt in JUST ONE DAY? Did you opinions of Willem from JUST ONE DAY start changing by seeing his side of the story?
- A common theme in both JUST ONE DAY and JUST ONE YEAR is double happiness. Besides the Chinese symbols, what sort of significance do you think it holds for our two main characters? Do you think there’s a deeper meaning?
- Along with Willem’s POV, we also get to get to see a bit more into Celine’s character. Did you feel any different about her reactions towards Willem? Towards Allyson?
- Willem’s life has been surrounded by and filled with “accidents”, even going back to the story of how his parents met. Do you think this affected his view on life? How he feels about meeting Allyson?
- All of the chances and accidents we see in this series brings up the idea of chance versus action & intention. Do you think Fate exists?