It’s time for TGIF again, thanks to Ginger at GReads!
I’m actually on vacation right now, but I figured I’d schedule a TGIF post so you didn’t miss me too much 🙂
This week’s TGIF topic is:
Unexpected Books: Which books did you have reservations about reading, but ended up loving once you did?
- Of Poseidon by Anna Banks – I’m not really one for mermaids or mermaid-type stories, but Anna Banks does a fantastic job of this! It’s so different and I love the twists and turns she takes with it. Plus, I love her sarcastic and witty sense of humor! I really ended up liking this one a lot! Now if she’d only write the Sasquatch love story…
- Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins – Okay, so I figured I’d like this book. I didn’t think I’d end up falling in love with it! You can check out my fangirl review and that pretty much sums it up!
- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead – I borrowed this book from a friend. She said she really enjoyed it. I was pretty skeptical! But this was pretty different from the typical vampire stories. I actually liked it a lot and got totally sucked in by the second book.
- Graceling by Kristin Cashore – I really not a big fantasy/high fantasy person, so when I read all of the awesome reviews for Graceling, I was hesitant, but decided to pick it up. Turns out, it’s a lot easier to relate to than I thought! I really loved it!
- Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers – Another historical fiction type book but it’s got such great paranormal element to it! And apparently almost any book with a kick-ass heroine will have me sold. I really, really enjoyed reading this one, and highly recommend it!!
9 thoughts on “TGIF – August 10, 2012”
I have been hearing good reviews for Of Poseidon and really want Sweet Evil…I need to look up Grave Mercy, I don’t know that one yet. 🙂 Have a fun vacation!!
They’re all pretty great! Happy reading 🙂
Haha, I’ve had hesitations about all these books myself… and haven’t read any. You are clearly more adventurous than me! Hope you’re having a fun vacation!
I just got Of Poseidon from the library yesterday, I was wary because of the mixed reviews but you made me feel much better!
I really enjoyed it! I think I ended up rating it 4.5/5 🙂
Graceling is on my list, as well! And Grave Mercy could have been. The whole “assassin nuns” description just wasn’t working for me the way it seems to have worked for everyone else!
Vampire Academy is one that I am unsure about because I wasn’t crazy about Bloodlines, but everyone says it is much better. My mistake was reading Bloodlines first, lol.
Hmm. I haven’t actually heard much about Bloodlines, so I’m not sure! I’d be interested to hear the comparisons!
Thanks for sharing and enjoy your vacation!