Event: Author appearances by Lauren Oliver + Lauren Morrill + Lenore Appelhans, Richelle Mead, Pitch Dark Days Tour
Location: Anderson’s Bookshop, Naperville, IL
Date: May 2 – 9
So excited to finally be catching up on these author recaps! Anderson’s Bookshop (my local indie bookstore, for those of you who don’t know it) has had some AMAZING author events this month so far. I mean like, MY FAVORITE AUTHORS AND I GOT TO MEET THEM *happy dance*
LAUREN OLIVER, LAUREN MORRILL, LENORE APPELHANS
MAY 2, 2013
OMG, you guys. I was so nervous and excited to meet Lauren Oliver! She was one of the authors that even got me into YA in the first place!!! Meeting her was honestly a dream of mine, one of my “bucket list” authors, if you will. And don’t count out Lauren Morrill or Lenore Appelhans! I’ve been fortunate enough to work with BOTH of them for a Selective Collective feature, not to mention that MEANT TO BE was an instant favorite of mine!
- Firstly, Chicago traffic and rain made L. Morrill and L. Appelhans late BUT, the lovely Lauren Oliver was there to entertain us and introduce each of the books being promoted AS each other. She did a great job as Lauren Morrill and Lenore Appelhans! Very funny. I actually didn’t expect Lauren Oliver to be that outspoken and “bossy” as she called herself, maybe just because her books carry such a serious tone! She was a blast to listen to and I really heard some interesting things about her writing process!
- Did you know that Lauren Oliver’s BEFORE I FALL was written entirely on a Blackberry? I did not!! L. Morrill said “SEE, there are no excuses not to write!” which I totally commend, but I would never be able to concentrate writing on the subway or in transit like L. Oliver did!
- It was really interesting to hear Lenore talk about how she came up with ideas for LEVEL 2! She knew she wanted memories to be involved and involving good memories as sort of a currency. Lenore is a world-traveler so most of Felicia’s travels were easy for Lenore to write! And sadly…. There really are no prancing goats. That was a total creation from Lenore!
- Quick bragging moment: Each of the authors played a game where they decided to read a passage from the book that they were promoting. Since Lauren Oliver was promoting the third and a trilogy and didn’t want to spoil anything, I volunteered my copy of Delirium. So Lauren Oliver read from my copy of Delirium and call me crazy, but I honestly found it SO. COOL. that the author herself was reading the very same book and the very same words that I read and fell in love with. It was an awesome thing for me!
Of course I was extremely awkward when trying to talk to any authors because let’s face it… I always am, BUT I did get to take photos with all of them and they were all super sweet!
MAY 5, 2013
Okay, I know Richelle Mead is hugely popular and has had many, many books, but I had no idea that the crowd for this event was going to be that huge! Thankfully I come to these events alone (or not thankfully, because that sounds sad) so I was able to squeeze into a solo seat and not have to stand in the back for the whole event! I was SHOCKED to find out that probably about half of the people who were at this event came from two hours away or more (quite a few were four hours or more!!) so that just tells you the magnitude of her writing and the audience that she reaches!
- Richelle started off by giving us a lengthy taste of THE FIERY HEART (Bloodlines #4) which actually alternates between Adrian’s & Sydney’s point of views. It was a darker & deeper side of Adrian and interesting to hear thoughts from his perspective. Usually I don’t like when books start with one narrator and switch to dual POVs, but I’m actually pretty anxious to hear what Adrian has to say!
- The audience got to do a Q&A and there were some specific questions which Katie at The Polished Page Turner was kind enough to take notes on for her own recap of the event! I’m not a note taker so… I forgot all of them haha.
- She talked about the MOVIE. I guess the guy who plays Dimitri, although most of us probably haven’t heard of him, is kind of a big deal in Russia so that’s pretty cool! I hope that the movie does the books justice because the VA series is one I felt come off SO well in books and I’m scared the wrong actors could ruin it! Hopefully not 🙂
We didn’t get to do any posed pictures since there were SO many people so I got some awkward photos as someone was nice enough to snap a few haha. I made THE MOST awkward conversation with Richelle as she was kind enough to sign my books by telling her that I almost didn’t pick up VA because it was “another vampire series”. Of course I went on to tell her that I love it (duh) and I’m so glad that I read them because they’re really unique! I hope she didn’t think I was TOO awkward. I really shouldn’t be allowed to talk to authors. I don’t know how I’ll survive BEA with my pride intact.
PITCH DARK DAYS TOUR
MAY 9, 2013
Fierce Reads isn’t coming into town, but I got to go to the Pitch Dark Days tour!!! Aprilynne Pike, Amy Tintera, Elizabeth Norris, and Kiera Cass were all in attendance and a great group of ladies to meet!!
I was kind of overjoyed that……. I forgot everything that happened. With four authors, it was all kind of a daze (in a great way) but once again, Katie at The Polished Page Turner did a great write up about it so I can refer you to her page haha. I feel terrible that I don’t take notes at some of these things sometimes because I have no specifics to tell you but I feel awkward being on my phone the whole time or writing things down. I just feel like I’m not paying attention even though I’m taking notes! So I just watched and listened, smiled and laughed and had a grand old time!
True to form, I made awkward small talk with the authors (I’m just SO BAD at small talk. Why do I do this???) and took pictures will ALL OF THEM.
Also got to meet Alison from Harper! She was super sweet and a little ball of energy! She did a great job at moderating the event!! (Also a pretty awkward picture of me but… meh!)
Oh yes, there is a giveaway! I don’t have books from every author mentioned in this post (because I wanted to keep a lot for myself hahaha), BUT I do have a signed hardback of LIFE AFTER THEFT and a signed copy of THE INDIGO SPELL for one lucky winner! Best of luck!!!
The giveaway is open until Friday 5/24/13. US and Canada entries only, please. (Sorry, international!) Go forth and enter!
Here are a few more upcoming events that I will be attending! If you’re going to be at Anderson’s in Naperville, IL for any of these signings, let me know and we can say hi! 🙂
Rick Yancey – The 5th Wave: May 22nd, 2013
Joelle Charbonneau – The Testing: June 4th, 2013
Young Authors Give Back Tour: June 14th, 2013
16 thoughts on “May Author Signings Recap & Giveaway!”
I’m so jealous you got to go to this signing!! I’d love to meet Richelle Mead….and don’t worry about the awkward. I find that many people (myself included) are this way….and a lot of authors are as well. I think they’re just happy you came out to see them! =)
Haha. I’m also so bad at talking with authors. I’m so shy, and I can barely say “Hi” and “thanks.” I’m glad I’m not alone in the awkwardness department.
Also, I usually go to events alone, too. 🙂
I’m totally dying to read Life After Theft. I’ve heard mixed things about it. BUT SO MANY THINGS SO LITTLE TIME.
I really want to read Life After Theft and Reboot! I’ve heard they are great. I love Rachel Meeds books! So I’m not surprised that people would drive that far for her!
Woooow, so many great events! I’m so jealous that you got to see Lauren Oliver. I wish she would come to my city! I went to a Richelle Mead event last year, and yeah, it was HUGE! I had no idea she was so popular, but I still haven’t read any of her books (I was accompanying my sister who loves her books).
It’s so great that you get to go to so many of these events. It’s also totally nuts that lauren Oliver wrote Before I Fall on her Blackberry, I go crazy writing short emails on my iPhone!
Fun times! I’m glad you go to these events so I can live vicariously through you! 🙂
You’re so lucky that you have events near you! I have none. I’m not even kidding. None. But I’m glad that bloggers like you put these posts together, so I can live through you!
I think your post has convinced me I need to move to a big city with AUTHOR signings! I’m in Texas, so theoretically I’m close enough to drive to a lot of the events in the big cities, but it hardly ever works with school/work schedules, sadly. I love seeing all your pictures and recaps though!
Oh, who cares about pride? I’m sure the authors are geeking out just as much as you are. I’ve actually never been to a signing (I know!) so I probably have no room to talk… one time I met a band member from a band I really liked and talked about grilled cheese sandwiches. I don’t know why. Ugh. Hahah.
I am a huge fan girl of Lauren Oliver! AHHH so jealous you met her! HAHA I love your paragraph about your awkward talk with RIchelle! I would prob be the same way… I put my foot in my mouth a lot. I am going to make it to one of these one day if it kills me! Thank you so much for sharing your photos and your wonderful experiences. Best of wishes! Have a great week!
I am so jealous that you have so many great author signings in your area! I did get to go to Pitch Dark Days in February, and Fierce Reads is coming next month (hopefully I can go), but I would absolutely LOVE to meet Richelle Mead! She’s one of my favorite new (to me) authors from last year!
I think that’s really cool that Lauren Oliver introduced the books as the other authors. When I went to Pitch Dark Days, Brodi Ashton and Cynthia Hand actually told each other’s back stories, which was kind of cool.
I’m anxious to read more books, like the Bloodline series, by Rachel Mead. Thanks for the recap! Glad to hear you had fun!
Dang, you have no idea how jealous I am that you have gone to so many author signings in one month that you are able to have a monthly recap post. Lucky! No one ever comes to where I live. But it sounds like you had a great time and made the most of the opportunities presented to you and thus I am happy for you!! 🙂
Such a great post! We considered going to see Richelle Mead but figured it would be a huge crowd. Love the pics and don’t worry – I’m horrible at the small talk too. I’m hoping it will pass soon. 🙂
I’m dying to read Life After Theft =)