Hi, all! Welcome to back to our feature called PUB DATE where Estelle from Rather Be Reading, Andi from Andi’s ABCs, and Maggie from Just a Couple More Pages and I all team up to pair books + beers in harmony! Each week, one of us will features a beer and a book of our choice, each with a different theme for that month!
This month’s theme: Jobs + Hobbies
I’m super excited for this month’s Pub Date theme of jobs and hobbies! I love when a character has a really neat or unusual hobby or witnessing a character find that first job/summer job/unique job. There are some really great opportunities to build a story around a character’s workplace or interesting hobby and these have really shaped some of my favorite books but for this post, I’m focusing more on the working place side because those seem to be more prevalent for me. Let’s take a look!
JOBS + CAREERS
- Open Road Summer | Country Music Star
- Past Perfect | Colonial Reenactment Village
- The Chapel Wars | Wedding Chapel Owner
- The Distance Between Us | Doll Shop Employee
- Also Known As | Spy
For my post today, I wanted to focus more on THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US by Kasie West
because I really enjoyed that Caymen had a nice, normal job. She helps her mom out in the doll shop that they own and that’s how she meets Xander. I really enjoyed how much her job and responsibilities meant to her and her family and the large role that it played in the book. Kasie West is also master of cute contemporary romances so naturally, the whole book was super enjoyable!
I knew my beer selection as soon as we talked about using jobs & hobbies as a Pub Date theme! I’ve had Third Shift before and knew it was a great beer to fit with the working theme! It’s an amber lager and it’s actually quite tasty and light. I’ve had a lot of experiences with super rich amber ales and I can usually only drinking one or two before I’ve had enough of it. I love that this is an amber lager because it’s a wonderful taste but a whole lot lighter!
Thanks for joining us for another edition of Pub Date! Missed any posts? You can catch up at any time on my blog page for the Pub Date Feature!
- Two Women Lager by New Glarus Brewing Company. Golden Lager // 5.00% ABV. We’ve made a few trips to Wisconsin recently and I have been stocking up on New Glarus. You can only get New Glarus in WI so I grabbed quite a few cases in our travels. This is in one of their sampler packs and it’s just delicious! Everything you’d expect.
- Mazzie by Pollyanna Brewing Company. American Pale Ale // 5.40% ABV. Pollyanna Brewing Company just opened in the past year or so in the suburbs of Chicago and I’ve been itching to get my hands on one of their beers! We haven’t made it out to the brewery yet so I grabbed this one from the liquor store. It was a decent American pale ale but it had a slightly weird aftertaste… I threw a lemon in there and it was actually quite delicious after that! (Shane didn’t like it much at all.)
- Tripel Karmeliet by Brouwerij Bosteels. Belgian Tripel // 8.40% ABV. Shane and I decided to splurge and get a fancy beer one night so we split this bottle of Tripel Karmeliet. It’s a tradition Belgian beer and rather high in alcohol content at 8.4% but it was still light and didn’t feel too alcohol-y! It had a sort of skunky smell which is apparently natural from some Belgian beers but it didn’t taste too off. I enjoyed it but not sure if we’ll splurge on it again! We’re more of American beer people than traditional German and Belgian styles.
** Beer styles and alcohol content from Beer Advocate **
** Drink responsibly **