One of my favorite bloggers (and people. She’s a gem!), Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner, hosts a wonderful thing called the End of Year Book Survey. I had an absolute blast completing the survey for 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 so I was excited to hop on board for the 2015 END OF YEAR BOOK SURVEY!
As usual, all links will take you to my reviews for these books so if you see something you’re curious about, check out my reviews!
Number Of Books You Read: 102
Number of Re-Reads: 2 — ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS (on my birthday every year now) and THE SCORPIO RACES (every October/November)
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Contemporary: PS I LIKE YOU by Kasie West
Sequel: THE BANDS OF MOURNING by Brandon Sanderson
Series Finale: CROOKED KINGDOM by Leigh Bardugo
Debut: THE CROWN’S GAME by Evelyn Skye, THE LOVE THAT SPLIT THE WORLD by Emily Henry, REBEL OF THE SANDS by Alwyn Hamilton
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? EMPIRE OF STORMS by Sarah J. Maas
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Good: KILL THE BOY BAND by Goldy Moldavsky | Bad: WHERE FUTURES END by Parker Peevyhouse
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? Probably 26 KISSES, SUMMER OF SLOANE, or HOW TO HANG A WITCH
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Series started: (I will say that isn’t already completed and wasn’t a debut this year) THE CONSPIRACY OF US by Maggie Hall
Sequel: THE BANDS OF MOURNING by Brandon Sanderson
Series Ender: CROOKED KINGDOM by Leigh Bardugo, THE WINNER’S KISS by Marie Rutkoski, THE RAVEN KING by Maggie Stiefvater
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
Debut: Kerri Maniscalco (STALKING JACK THE RIPPER). Loved her book, love her as a person too!
Not Debut: Sherry Thomas (THE ELEMENTAL TRILOGY)
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? AS YOU WISH (INCONCEIVABLE TAKES FROM THE MAKING OF THE PRINCESS BRIDE) by Cary Elwes (non-fiction)
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? YOU by Caroline Kepnes. It wasn’t super action-packed but I just couldn’t put it down!
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? Aside from my yearly re-reads… Probably THE CROWN’S GAME on audio before the sequel comes out because Steve West <333
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016? The Elemental Trilogy by Sherry Thomas
11. Most memorable character of 2016? Joe (from YOU by Caroline Kepnes)
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016? THE LOVE THAT SPLIT THE WORLD by Emily Henry
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2016? THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES by Mindy McGinnis
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read? UNCOMMON CRIMINALS by Ally Carter. I read HEIST SOCIETY in 2012!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016? I don’t keep track of quotes while I read but I remember commenting on this one because adorable cinnamon roll Richard offers up his library cards as his first form of ID hahaha [from NEVERWHERE by Neil Gaiman]
“Look,” said Richard, his back against the wall, with the glass dagger pressed against his Adam’s apple. “I think you’re making a bit of a mistake here. My name is Richard Mayhew. I can prove who I am. I’ve got my library cards. Credit cards. Things,” he added, desperately.
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Shortest (actual book and not novella): THE SIGN OF FOUR by Arthur Conan Doyle (129 pgs) | Longest: EMPIRE OF STORMS (693 pgs)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most:
Most shocking in general: YOU by Caroline Kepnes
Most shocking moment: CROOKED KINGDOM by Leigh Bardugo
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!): Vika & Nikolai (THE CROWN’S GAME), Avery & Stellan (THE CONSPIRACY OF US and MAP OF FATES by Maggie Hall), Iolanthe & Titus (The Elemental Trilogy by Sherry Thomas), Blue & Gansey (The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater), Audrey Rose & Thomas (STALKING JACK THE RIPPER by Kerri Maniscalco)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year: Arin & Roshar (THE WINNER’S KISS), Door & The Marquis (NEVERWHERE)
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously: Any Sanderson (THE RITHMATIST, more Mistborn, ELANTRIS, WARBREAKER…)
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure: MY LADY JANE is a good pick for this one. I wouldn’t have picked it up without the comparisons to The Princess Bride!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016? Thomas from The Elemental Trilogy by Sherry Thomas
23. Best 2016 debut you read? THE CROWN’S GAME, REBEL OF THE SANDS, THE LOVE THAT SPLIT THE WORLD
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? The Elemental Trilogy, THE CROWN’S GAME
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? PS I LIKE YOU by Kasie West
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016? CROOKED KINGDOM by Leigh Bardugo
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? THE GEEK’S GUIDE TO UNREQUITED LOVE by Sarvenaz Tash
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? Ummm I have been trying not to read sad books recently so let’s be dramatic and say HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD, because I just had fundamental issues with it.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016? Well, THE SMALLER EVIL was very unique compared to everything else I’ve read this year, even though it wasn’t in a good way for me.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? EMPIRE OF STORMS, in that it made me mad and then killed a fandom for me.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016? Oh gosh, I don’t even know. I haven’t really been able to keep up with blogs this year, unfortunately.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016? I actually usually like my more critical reviews best because I’m actually writing and not just gushing so probably A COURT OF MIST AND FURY because I ended up sharing both sides — what I liked and what I was upset with.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Discussion: Blogging Statistics: More Than Just Followers: I’m a person who loves stats! I think they’re interesting and help you grow, and numbers aren’t always about the reach for more followers.
Other non-review post: If You Liked… Gilmore Girls and If You Liked… The Winner’s Curse
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? Attending ALAMW in January and BEA in May
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016? Really growing my candle company, Novelly Yours and blurbing an ARC! Eep! One check off my bookish bucket list with that one
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? Finding time to read and blog! Candle business + new position at work + life changes = less time
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Not posted in 2016: If You Liked… Divergent
Posted in 2016: Six Bingeable Series You Won’t Want to Put Down
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? The Statistics Survey from this year
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? All of the new bookish merch shops I’ve found through Etsy!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? Just the Goodreads challenge. That’s all I had signed up for!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017? Oh, just so many series I still haven’t finished!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)? THE CROWN’S FATE by Evelyn Skye
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? ROYAL BASTARDS by Andrew Shvarts
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017? THE CROWN’S FATE by Evelyn Skye
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017? Just get back on track!
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone: I actually haven’t read any yet! Some 2017 releases but nothing that I’ve been recommending.
1 thought on “End of Year Book Survey | 2016”
So many books, congrats!! I love that you have annual rereads too 🙂 PS I Like You, Crooked Kingdom, and Rebel of the Sands were some of my favorites, soooo good! I still need to read Summer of Sloane. Love the Elemental series covers, they’re so pretty! Yay My Lady Jane 😀 I’m so glad I got to meet you at BEA!!! It was the best. I’m excited for Royal Bastards too, got approved for an e-arc recently and I hope it’s good! Happy reading this year 🙂