One of my favorite bloggers (and people. She’s a gem!), Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner, hosts a wonderful thing called the End of Year Book Survey. I had an absolute blast completing the survey for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 so I was excited to hop on board for the 2015 END OF YEAR BOOK SURVEY!
As usual, all links will take you to my reviews for these books so if you see something you’re curious about, check out my reviews!
Number Of Books You Read: 100 even!
Number of Re-Reads: 9! ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, THE CROWN’S GAME, THE NIGHT CIRCUS, THE SCORPIO RACES, all four Raven Cycle books, and a Raven Cycle novella
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy
- Best Book You Read In 2017? STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor — for once I have an easy favorite!
- Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? TRAITOR TO THE THRONE by Alwyn Hamilton
- Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? In a good way — A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab
- Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? I didn’t push a lot this year! Probably… the Stalking Jack the Ripper books
- Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017? Best series I started, probably STRANGE THE DREAMER. I can’t imagine not loving the second book! Best sequel… HUNTING PRINCE DRACULA. Best series ender… A MILLION WORLDS WITH YOU
- Favorite new author you discovered in 2017? Hmmm too hard to say. I read a bunch of new authors but only one book from them. I can’t commit to saying they’re the best until I read more!
- Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS! I don’t read a lot of older books/classics.
- Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? I’M THINKING OF ENDING THINGS by Iain Reid. It was so weird and I didn’t want to stop reading!
- Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? My two regular re-reads, ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS and THE SCORPIO RACES, and I also want to re-read READY PLAYER ONE and the Illuminae Files on audio!
- Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017? The Firebird Trilogy! They’re so gorgeous!
- Most memorable character of 2017? No one is really sticking out, actually.
- Most beautifully written book read in 2017? STRANGE THE DREAMER
- Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017? I didn’t really read anything life-changing.
- Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read? The Queen’s Thief series! MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS
- Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017? I don’t really keep track of quotes. It takes my out of the reading experience!
- Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017? The longest was definitely OATHBRINGER! I forgot what the shortest book was…
- Book That Shocked You The Most: Definitely THIS DARKNESS MINE by Mindy McGinnis!
- OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!): Audrey Rose & Thomas from the Stalking Jack the Ripper books!
- Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year: Probably most of the characters in The Stormlight Archive!
- Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously: STRANGE THE DREAMER
- Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure: A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC
- Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017? Joshua Templeton from THE HATING GAME!
- Best 2017 debut you read? Probably GEEKERELLA
- Best World-building/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? The Firebird Trilogy and The Stormlight Archive
- Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? THE HATING GAME!
- Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017? I don’t know if I did cry! Probably STRANGE THE DREAMER.
- Hidden Gem Of The Year? QUEENS OF GEEK by Jen Wilde
- Book That Crushed Your Soul? …. STRANGE THE DREAMER haha
- Most Unique Book You Read In 2017? We’ll cheat and say WIRES AND NERVE. It’s the most unique among my 2017 because it’s my first and only graphic novel!
- Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? THE LAST STAR or AN ENCHANTMENT OF RAVENS.
- New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017? I really didn’t keep up with blogging much this year! No one new for me!
- Favorite review that you wrote in 2017? Actually… I kind of liked my ranty review for A COURT OF WINGS AND RUIN.
- Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? “A Monday with Maggie Stiefvater“. I randomly got to meet Maggie and talk with her while she had a car at my husband’s shop!!
- Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? ALA Annual! I accidentally forgot I went. Oops! It’s been a nutty year.
- Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017? Meeting Maggie Stiefvater! Finally meeting Kerri Maniscalco in person at ALA. Going to ALA! Keeping up with my blog haha.
- Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? Finding time to read and blog! Candles are so busy and then full-time job and trying to have an actual life in the process… I haven’t been scheduling ahead with the blog but I’ve still been trying to post 3-5 times a week. I’ve been reading a LOT of audiobooks but reading is also more for me than the blog, though I do try to keep up with publisher commitments!
- Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? By views, not written this year, If You Like Divergent recommendation guide. Actually written this year, my Maggie Stiefvater post from above!
- Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? Pretty much any post at this point. My stats have plummeted with not being able to keep up with comments, visiting other blogs, promoting, etc.
- Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? I don’t know if I discovered something new this year! Maybe just new audiobook narrators.
- Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? Just my Goodreads challenge!
- One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018? I still realllllly want to read NEVERNIGHT and GODSGRAVE. I feel like there are so many more but that’s always looming there.
- Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)? OBSIDIO!!!
- 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? HEART OF THORNS by Bree Barton
- Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018? OBSIDIO, and to be honest, Throne of Glass, so I can finish this series and be done with SJM.
- One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018? Keep up with it? LOL. Continue to attend events. Mostly for my bookish friends.
- A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable): None yet!
2 thoughts on “End of Year Book Survey | 2017”
I struggled with having enough time to read (and blog) too. It’s hard when you work a full-time job and then have a myriad of other responsibilities, too. I have been in a candle mood lately! 🙂
I’m so pumped for Obsidio!! You’re also reminding me I need more candles soooon